Re: [gardeners] Garden Clubs

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 07:31:55 -0600

At 06:06 AM 4/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Ah, memories of my garden club days when we lived in clemson.  My hubby was
>a member of the faculty there and I had two small children.  but when the
>dept. chair's wife found out I had a degree in HORTICULTURE, she insisted
>that I join her garden club - the Fort Hill Garden Club. We mostly attended
>meetings fully attired in suits, hats and white gloves.  Dranks lots of
>tea, ate sandwiches and cookies but didn't do much gardening.  Did have a
>flower show.  Have avoided joining one here - this list is a much of a
>garden club as I need!
>	Barb - still in cool windy damp Missouri - will nice weather NEVER come?
>Makes the daffodils etc. last longer, however.
>Barb Rothenberger
>Columbia, Mo.
>See our pictures of the Philadelphia flower show
>http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/3257/

A MG friend was invited to speak before a Boise garden club.  She had spent
the morning planting flowers along her front walkway (in defiance of her
subdivision's rules against flowering plants in the front yard), and clad
in shorts and a tee shirt, she took off to talk to the garden ladies.  They
were dressed in Sunday best, complete to white gloves, and to say she felt
out of place was an understatement.  She gave her talk, received polite
applause, received her "momento" and left, vowing never again to accept a
speaking engagement before garden club ladies.

On another note, the same person began breaking up with her husband, and
someone "mysteriously" Rounduped her front yard.  MG friends gleefully
greeted her with a "you're out of compliance" remark for months thereafter.
 Margaret, who's still wondering what WBUB means.