[gardeners] English roses

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:20:29 +0000

Barb Rothenberger <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> I finally got a David Austin Rose!  I am so excited.  I
> had hear so much about them on the list, then when we saw so many of
> them in England last summer, had to have one.  Sharifa Asma.  A
> delicate blush pink, strongly fragrant with 2" blooms on an upright,
> compact bush.  Repeat blooming.  Excellent choice for the small
> garden or border 3 ft x 3 ft.
>  anyone grow this one?

I have one Austin, Heritage, that I purchased last year.  Had I known
more I would have gotten an Abraham Darby or an Evelyn instead.
Sharifa Asma is another Austin rose that I like a great deal.

If you like the Austin roses you might want to read about old garden
roses.  There are many repeat blooming old garden roses that are
vastly superior to Austin roses in terms of form, scent, hardiness
and disease resistance.  I didn't know this when I bought Heritage,
a pale shell pink.  Heritage is the best selling Austin rose and
really adds nothing new to rosedom.

Abraham Darby and Evelyn have colors that don't exist in old garden
roses.

If you'd like a look at some old garden roses check out this webpage.
It's what got me started on my latest obsession.
http://www.halcyon.com/cirsium/rosegal

Pat, can you grow roses in the hill country?

Liz