Re: [gardeners] Bugs

Fri, 08 May 1998 19:22:56

At 08:32 AM 5/8/98 -0500, you wrote:

>From: George Shirley <gshirley@iamerica.net>
>

>>Okay folks, poking around in the garden this afternoon and found a couple
>>of tomato plants infested with some kind of little red bug critter. Just
>>about - that long, dull red, big butt, small head. Squished a bunch of them
>>but to many for that. Any ideas what they are and how to kill?
>

>Aphids on tomatoes are red
>Aphids on apples are green
>Aphids on Asclepias are golden orange
>Aphids on peas are tan
>Aphids on lovage are black
>
>at least in Chicago area.  blast them off with a water spray or use
>Kay's formula for soapy water spray.  The American goldfinch is also
>fond of red aphids.
>
>manytimes,
>tom
>zone 5a, NE Illinois, -21ºF Min
>http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes

I got two votes for red spider mites, and Tom's vote for aphids. All voters
call for the same decision, soapy water spray or insecticidal soap. By the
way, what is Kay's formula for soapy water spray? I must have missed that
one. Oh yeah, no goldfinches that I've ever seen around here, American or
otherwise. Thank you one and all.

George