Re: [gardeners] Hiatus

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 23 May 1998 13:07:11 -0600

At 05:20 PM 5/22/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Don't know exactly what happened, but there have been no messages to
>or fro asidv.fbg.net for days! This noon, I picked up a message from
>Penny, so maybe the problem is over.
<snip>
>	Despite last year's dire stories of Earl Campbell thigh squash, I
>have planted the same variety -- 12 seeds. All came up, are now
>thinned to the strongest 6 and next week 3 will go to the compost
>pile. We figure with 2 of us and 3 of them, we can supply the Food
>Pantry with the overage. By the way, did Catharine ever tell you to
>try grating raw zucchini into green salad? It's good.

Earl Campbell?

>	Don't know how many of you are flower arrangers --for those who are,
>I apologize in advance. About ten days ago our garden club had one of
>those grimly intense flower-arranger-speakers who had instructed us,
>in advance, to bring "plant material, holders, cutters, containers,
>and a little imagination, PLEASE." Having precious little flowering,
>I took a few herbs and one wild plant that had three "blooms" in
>various stages of development. She went wild over my weed, begged for
>it, and took it home with her to "plant in my front bed." I shouldn't
>have been so mean -- it was goatbeard in all its glory! She will
>never get rid of it.

That's hilarious, Pat, and indicates a lot of imagination!

>	Hope you and your gardens are warm-cool-wet-dry
>enough and that you have a grand three day weekend. Pat

If I could only figure out how to dehydrate this stuff falling from the
sky, I'd be happy to send it to you, Pat.  You've dealt with dehydrated
rain before, haven't you?  We don't need it right now.  We need it in
August.  That is unless El Nino thinks he's found THE Stall, and intends to
remain exactly where he is.

I wonder if your garden club flower arrangers know that in this part of the
country (Idaho and Montana), arrangers are fond of using "Texas alligators"
in their arrangements.  "Texas alligators" are those chunks of tire you
often see on the highway that have some of the radial wire showing, etc.
They go well with goatsbeard.  Best, Margaret