Re: Barbeque, was Re: [gardeners] Carolina Turkey

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 15:59:42 +0000

Bambi wrote:

> And we can do the cornbread with
> cracklins
> too!

Next time you come to Atlanta, you and I have got to do two things: 1)
Botanical Garden, 2) lunch at Harolds.

Harold's is an Atlanta institution. It's across the highway from the
County P-Farm and you are as likely to run into the Governor as you are
the latest parole jumper  lined up waiting for a bowl of *fine* Brunswick
stew, North Carolina-style barbeque, and the ultimate delicacy/depravity:
cornbread to die for.

You can feel your arteries clogging when you chomp down on a slab. Stone
ground white cornmeal (with a touch of yellow), a little salt, leavening,
and home-rendered lard with cracklings. No sugar (shudders at the very
notion), darn little flour (if any). The best cornbread I have ever eaten.
Period.

But so bad for you that I can only be thankful that I don't spend much
time at the P-farm. If I did, I'd be a goner.

Catharine.