Re: Barbeque, was Re: [gardeners] Carolina Turkey

Harry Boswell (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:37:43 -0500 (CDT)

"Genuine" North Carolina barbeque uses a mustard-based sauce, commonly
known as yellow sauce, and this is truly a desecration and an apostasy.
Likewise, combining slaw with the barbeque, such as <shudder>putting it
on a barbeque sandwich, is an abomination.  I have had some well-prepared
pork in some parts of the Carolinas, but the only place I've found that
has a true barbeque sauce, that being a red sauce, is JB Digger's in
Greenville, SC.  Texas gets the sauce right, but they have this morbid
insistence on putting it on beef.

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Michael & Bambi Cantrell wrote:

> >Well, you know how fanatic Texas are about barbeque <bg>. I have been
> >lucky enough to eat genuine North Carolina barbeque you describe and I
> >gotta admit: You're right. It is heaven on earth. Add some slaw and
> >cornbread made with cracklins and I'll be over in a flash! (Don't forget
> >the tea, cousin!)
>
> >Catharine
>
> AMEN, sister!!  Come on up, and we'll do it all!!!  Ya know, we *always*
> have
> slaw with the barbeque.  And tea!  And we can do the cornbread with
> cracklins
> too!
>
> Bambi

Harry Boswell                 hboswell@netdoor.com