Re: [gardeners] Heat

drusus@golden.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 21:43:08 -0400

At 08:15 AM 09-07-98, you wrote:
>Is it just Atlanta and Louisiana or is everyone experiencing above normal
>temperatures for the time of year. Was watching the very early morning
>local news and weather about 6 am. Weather person said it was 91F at
>midnight last night. That's terrible when it doesn't even cool down at
>night. Of course the wind has finally died down around here so it's
>entirely possible. A nice southerly breeze, blowing in off the Gulf, would
>certainly cool things down.

We have been consistently above, but sometimes not much.  It's been very
humid and no rain--in this climate  (Great Lakes region) that's the maximum
stress on the plants, fungus and disease promoting conditions on the tops
and dry roots stress below.  The last few days though we have had rain,
even a slow steady rain, but it is still dry below the surface past a
couple of inches.  Better than nothing.  I put in more beans (squirrels got
quite a few) and this time some hardware mesh over top.  They were still
there tonight when I watered.  I actually have 3 little cherry tomatoes on
one of my volunteer tomato plants.  I took advvantage of the wet soil to
dig out some more grass in the front yard and now have 2 new flower beds
along the walk and the driveway.  The one near the walk has already 2
rosebushes (the grass went so they could have some floral company) and I
added some maroon and pink nicotiniana for instant colour and planted some
pink baby's breath, coloured yarrows and russian sage.   Along the drive I
planted feverfew and evening primrose.  There'll be some blue flax,
balck-eyed susans and shasta daisies added here, probably also some garden
sage.  Both beds will get crocus, narcissus and tulips so there'll be
something from early spring to fall.  I'll probably add other stuff too;
depends on what I need to dig up in the backyard.  Lucinda