Re: [gardeners] Slim pickings

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:12:23 -0600

At 10:08 AM 7/13/98 +0000, you wrote:
>This morning I hauled on my coveralls and sauntered out into the sauna of
>HellAtlanta to pick me some vittles for dinner. I dug and I picked and I
>battled the bugs for my supper. I glowed, I perspired, I sweat buckets.
>But my perseverence, perspicacity and my perspiration was rewarded
>with the following 'bounty':
>
>	1 gallon of sad looking blue and pink potatoes. Too big to use as
>min-tuber seed potato size (sometimes we can plant in August and have
>'taters for Thanksgiving); two small to bake. Guess they is gonna get
>thrown in the steamer.

Little butter (do you get that butter-flavored yogurt "butter" from Brummel
& Brown or is it just being test marketed in Boise?  We like it), lots of
chopped fresh parsley, those taters will do you proud.

>	1 gallon of fine looking Burmese okra. Enough for me and my neighbors
>tonight.

I'm looking forward to growing those next year. My okra got swamped by
crabgrass, but we've cleaned out most of the row.  Plants are only 6" tall,
though.

>	1 gallon of pitiful cherry tomatoes. They taste good, but they is hardly
>bigger than a raisin or a sluggish Thompson seedless grape.

What kind did you grow?  I don't have anything tomato-like ripe yet.

>	half a cup of tired looking pole beans. The bunnies missed a single
>plant.

Well, that'll learn ya, dern ya.  Next year put razor wire around your pole
bean plantings.  And a sign advertising "Lapin coats, 25 cents"

>The ants have helped themselves to the miniature strawberry popcorn that I
>was just about ready to harvest. Guess I'll be watching the farm report
>without nothing to nibble this fall.

have you ever tried popping ants?

>Times is hard, humid, hot and dry in Atlanta. Pitiful excuse for a
>garden this year.
>
>Catharine

Hot here, too.  Best, Margaret