Re: [gardeners] Friday gardening

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:16:50 -0700

Miz Anne very familiar with tobacco hornworms. She grew up in Southern
Maryland and lived next door to a tobacco farm. Both her brothers
married tobacco farmers daughters and the left-handed brother was in
much demand at tobacco planting time. First time I saw tobacco growing I
couldn't figure out what it was, had to ask, pretty stuff until you
realize how much poison they spray on it to keep the bugs off. Seems the
buyers don't like leaf with bug bites or holes in them. We even had
hornworms in the desert in Saudi Arabia, only thing I ever saw eat
oleanders besides locusts (the giant grasshopper type, not cicadas). You
see several thousand very large grasshoppers on your garden and your
heart goes ker-thump, there's no hope of salvaging anything.

It's humid and fairly cool here this morning. I need to pick chiles and
edible gourd and a bunch of herbs, just waiting for things to dry off a
bit.

For those with food preserving questions the rec.food.preserving FAQ
will be posted tomorrow and will be available on DejaNews almost
immediately. Lots of good information on putting your food by and the
safest methods to use. Be aware the FAQ comes in several lengthy parts
but it do be handy for looking up stuff.

George