Re: [gardeners] Saturday

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 22:01:15 -0600

Hi George,
    It's raining again in Bastrop Co. Isn't this a year of weather
contridictions? We had a 50 yr drought this summer. A 150 year flood in
October, and it has not quit raining for more than 3 consecutive days since.
We have had over 20 inches of rain since Oct 1st. It is the wettest October
on record. If anyone, in the future, looks at the rainfall totals for 1998,
there is now way that they will say "Oh yeah thats the year those folks had
such a terrible drought."
    It's been too wet to plant or even work the garden soil, so no fall
garden this year. I hate it when that happens. I really look forward to all
the greens and Cole family crops. I am still getting Anaheim Chilis,
Jalapeno Grandes and Jupiter and Big Bertha Bell peppers. Those Anaheims
make great chili powder. I have dried some of the bells and some of the
Jalapenos also. Most of the bells went into the freezer. Only half of the
Jalapenos got pickled. I dried some and ate a bunch. Tell you what, when
those Jalapeno Grandes get a few of the woody streaks on them they are
killers. Son # 2 works with a Mexican man who wanted some of the jalapenos
after he heard bout them. So I sent him a sack full. He ate a couple and
gave the rest of them to his father-in-law who is from Old Mexico. He sent
us a message that he really has enjoyed them. He knew that they were going
to be good when he broke a sweat eating them. I also sent him a half gallon
of salsa that we made. He sent us some homemade tamales. Whoo, to die for!!
I got me a connection here!
    When, if, it dries up I'm going to spend the winter adding organic
material to the gardens. I'll plant my 1015's in Jan from transplants.
Didn't get to plant the seeds on October 15th 'cause of the wet soil and
raining that day, too.
    That's about all the garden news that there will be until Jan. So I'm
keeping busy cutting firewood and transplanting pines and cedars out from
under the mother trees. We lost 22 pine and cedar saplings that we
transplanted this spring. Watered them regularly. It was excessive heat that
killed them. I had planted some crook neck gourds this spring. They didn't
start setting fruit until mid September. Didn't do too well they are all too
thin shelled. Another bust, Gus.
    We have a wildlife habitat certificate from the Texas Parks and Wildlife
Dept. I'll spend a lot of time this winter doing improvements to the habitat
to keep busy. Closest thing to gardening I'll get to do.
    Hope yall don't get as wet as we have.
Happy Gardening,
Allen
Bastrop Co.,Tx