Re: [gardeners] Zoysia?

Terry King (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:31:04 -0600

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:31:37 -0800 (PST), Kay Lancaster wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Don't have any idea what quack grass is but it sounds worse than
Johnson
>> grass.
>
>Well, it's shorter, but same rhizomatous mess underground.  But
>johnsongrass occasionally catches one of the smut fungi and that
>slows it down considerably.  I've never seen a sick quackgrass.
>One of the very worst agricultural weeds in the upper midwest before
>the advent of herbicides.
>
>Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com

In CA Johnson grass was never as much of a problem as quackgrass is here
in the PNW.  I've had it over run manure piles and in digging it out have
found runners over 10' long straight through the middle of the piles.  It
grows deep and persistent and is the bain of my flower beds too.

Isn't Cyndi  whose tagline sometimes reads something about quackgrass
holding the world together?

Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1
http://skybusiness.com/terraconnect/index.html