Re: [gardeners] Pink peas

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 01:37:01 -0500

Hi George and David,
    Pinkeyes are a variety of Purple Hull Peas. Willhite Seed Inc, Poolville, Tx.
has 3 kinds of Pinkeyes: CT Purple Hull Pinkeye pods are purple at shell stage,
6-7 inches long, the pea is light green with a red eye at green shell stage and
turn white with maroon eye when dry.
    Pinkeye Purple Hull BVR: pods are purple, pea is cream color with a maroon
eye.
    Texas Pinkeye: bush type with no runners, pods are green and purple in
immature stage, dark purple when ready for mature-green harvest, and purple when
dry. Fresh peas are kidney shaped and green with a bright pink eye. The dry pea
has a smooth to slightly wrinkled cream colored seed coat with a dark maroon eye.

    Willhite Seed has a website: www.WILLHITESEED.COM
David, if you have never eaten Purple Hull Peas you gotta try them. They will
make you through away the Black Eyes.
    Old pea farmin' Allen
    Bastrop Co.
    SE Central Tx.