Re: [gardeners] Raised beds

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 21:39:57 -0400

>Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 09:17:56 -0500
>From: Allen Breland <abreland@hal.calc.k12.la.us>
>Subject: [gardeners] Raised beds
>
>My name is Allen and I live in SW Louisiana. This is my second year of
>growing vegies. I just recently made several raised beds using landscape
>timbers. I find they are inexpensive @ approx. $2.00/8ft length. However
>cutting them to fit your space can be a bit difficult unless you have a
>4" or larger power saw blade ( I used a 12" miter saw which worked
>well).

 Another fairly easy choice is a skilsaw (circular saw). It will only cut
half of the timber with each pass but you can flip it over and cut it
again. We got much neater results with this than the chainsaw. Cutting good
miters with it is a bear though.

 First fire flies this week!! Summer is finally here.

Matt Trahan
northestern North Carolina, USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 31