Re: [gardeners] Friday in the garden

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:19:27 -0500

Hi George and All,
    Had been a professional painter for 35 years. Did one job removing wall paper.
Since that time have refused to hang or remove wall paper no matter how high the
offer. Once someone removes wall paper, it can be difficult and expensive to
rehabilitate the surface for texture and paint. If the removal job is not done to
the "T" the new texture and paint job will soon either fall off the wall or have
mildew growing through it. Hate the stuff.
    Haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks. Judy and I have been picking,
canning, freezing and pickling day and night. Our freezer is full, both
refrigerater freezers are full. The pantry is bursting at the seams and the shelves
are sagging. I am going to convert the closet in the spare bedroom into another
pantry this week. One set of over head cabinets in the kitchen has been converted
into storage space also.
    We have given away large quantities of tomatos(60lbs.last week alone), peppers,
squash, zuchinni, green and wax beans, potatos, onions, corn, etc. We get a real
kick out of people calling us up and saying how much better the fresh produce is
than what they have been eating from the store. Judy directs and co-ordinates a
Residency program at the hospital she works at. It gives us a great deal of
pleasure to give these young men and women(far from home) fresh vegetables and
things we have canned. They are particularly found of pickles. They look at Judy
like she is "Mom" away from home anyhow.
    I hope everyone has had or is having as great a gardening season as we have
had.
Allen
Bastrop Co., Gardeners Delight
SE Central Tx.