Re: [gardeners] Tree Time

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 07:39:11 -0600

Allen and Judy Merten wrote:

> Harry,
>     Your my kind of guy. That's the kind of decorations that I like too. We
> always have a fresh cut tree that we go look for just like the old days. I wish
> I had some candle lights, remember the old kind that bubbled? I want some of
> those.

I've got some, saved from my childhood. They're early fifties style or
late forties, forget which. Only problem is is that the wire fixture is
shot and we can't find one to match. The bulb base is smaller than the
standard tree light. Included in the string are bulb covers shaped like
cardinals, only three of those left and five of the candle lights.
Anyone spots a wiring setup that will fit let me know.

>     Most years we put out over a thousand outdoor lights. We have 30-40 ft.
> Eastern Red Cedars growing along our lane. We usually decorate 5 of them like
> Christmas trees, lights, garland, ornaments, etc.
>     The last year before I hurt my back we had the entire house out lined with
> colored lights, roof, windows, doors, everything. Our kids said it looked like a
> Griswold Christmas. It took 3 thousand chase lights that year. I hurt my back
> the week after Christmas, got the screws and rods. So now if I decorate an
> outside tree it has to be the Charlie Brown type Cedar trees. (:-{  It's just
> not the same.
>     Allen
>     Bastrop Co.
>     SE Central Tx.

But you still have the concept and the fun of the holiday Allen. Lots of
us with aging handicaps don't do the things we did when our families
were young but the feelings are still there and those massed lights are
still there in your mind and heart. Merry Christmas.

George