Re: [gardeners] Who's out there?

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 05:28:38 -0700

At 03:48 PM 1/28/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>I have sand the consistency of granulated sugar so I use the
>raised beds to keep the amendments where they belong.  Rock paths
>between eventually.  I have experimented with several types of
>watering and have about decided on drip irrigation for
>everything.  I am installing a water line with PVC pipe with a
>outlet at each bed.  I have used soaker hoses and drip lines with
>emitters.  Both have their problems but the emitters seem to last
>longer although they have to be checked regularly for stopped up
>emitters.
>
>Martha
>M Brown
>NW Oklahoma, USA
>USDA Zone 6b,  Sunset Zone 35

We're using soaker hoses for all ground level and two raised beds of
veggies. You're not supposed to run soaker hoses more than 100 feet, and at
one end of our garden, that means two rows. So we have several hose
connects, one every few rows, and different connects for each raised bed.
Some garden catalogs such as Gardeners Supply are selling four-way
splitters for water. They're about $30, but work great. Friends are using
series of Y connects to achieve the same thing, but it gets very
complicated. I know what you mean about stopped-up emitters. I lost an
heirloom squash, thanks to one of those. Margaret L