Re: [gardeners] Re: Heat wave

Sun, 03 Sep 2000 08:46:12 -0500

I have a peach called Floraglo, developed by the U. of Florida. Takes only 150
hours at 45F or less to set fruit. Planted the thing in February 99 when it was
about 3 feet tall, set and produced a few peaches that April. In spring of this
year it had reached 10 feet or more and set lots of peaches but we lost them to
the drought. I'm looking forward to next year as I am paying particular
attention to its water requirements now. Will prune it back to a manageable size
this fall too.

Ron, we grow the Yellow Pear tomatoes and love them. One of the best tomato
tastes we've had in years and a bounteous producer. Two or three plants provide
all the tomatoes we can eat out of hand and I put up several quart bags in the
freezer for later cooking.

What does a macadamia nut taste like? Don't believe I've ever eaten one except
in a macadamia nut cookie and they tasted like cookies.

George, enjoying a decompressing Labor Day weekend.

Ron Hay wrote:

> Hello, Penny,
>
> Yes, in our part of Southern California, most stone fruit will not produce,
> unless it has been hybridized to do so. One common apple that is grown in
> home gardens is called "Beverly Hills," but have never tasted one.
>
> Several neighbors have peach trees, ones that require very little chilling.
> That is also the case with our "Panimint" nectarine and "Blenheim/Royal"
> apricot (many pomologists consider the two varieties as really one and the
> same.)
>
> Out witheringly hot, dry summer has been hard on  Amish Paste, Omar's
> Lebanese and Mortgage Lifter. If we grow them again, we will grow them on
> the west side of our yard where they will receive shade from the wall during
> the oppressive heat of the afternoon.
>
> Yellow pears have been our staple all summer, and I often cook up a batch
> with olive oil, garlic and add shredded basil leaves just before pouring
> them over yummy polenta.
>
> Today we put in an additional Caesalpina pulcherrima, sometimes called
> Barbados Red Bird of Paradise. Very drought resistant and cold tolerant,
> too, since we often get a couple of frosts here in the SF Valley, as we are
> cut off from the moderating sea breezes by the Santa Monica Mountains.
>
> You should see our macadamia! It has tripled its leaf area this year, having
> not just two flushes of growth, but three! I can't wait for it to stop it's
> vegetative growth phase and see it produce flowers in long pink racemes,
> and, of course, those AWFUL :) macadamia nuts.
>
> Have a wonderfully relaxing Labor Day.
>
> Ron

snipped Penny's message