Re: [gardeners] Re: Sour cream rye bread

Shirley,George (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:16:55 -0600

Folks in Alaska keep sourdough starters blooming and their homes are usually at
65F or even lower. I keep my home at 68F in the winter and my sourdough starters
always maintained themselves well. In the summer I kept the starter crock in the
fridge and took out what I needed and let it warm up to room temp, 78F in the
summer. If I didn't leave it in the fridge it would eat up all the yeast and go
bad. She can put it on a sunny windowsill in the winter and it should do okay. I
referenced my "Alaska Sourdough" recipe book for info. I'm seriously considering
starting another batch. My sis still has some of my old starter frozen in her
freezer. May go over there and get it and let it thaw to be a new start. The old
one came from a friend who had had it 15 plus years and I had it another 7 or 8
years. Should still be good.

George