Re: [gardeners] Gyros?

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:46:28 -0700

At 03:14 AM 1/23/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Mary-Anne, my daughter took us downtown in lower Chcago to get our
>very first 27-lb cone of gyro meat, and a gallon of tzadziki. <sp?>
>We carried it home frozen on the airplane, and then SAWED it into
>doughnut-shaped wedges about 2 inches tall. Those we could keep
>in the  freezer, triple wrapped.
>

>Today we have modernized. Once we found out that the Chicago
>place serves our wholesaler, we switched to buying 10 lb bars of
>the gyro meat. I roast it in the oven, and make my own tzadziki, and
>fix all the trimmings. It's a fun dish....
>
>And jimmie's brother never fails to bring along a one lb package
>of that special Nestle's chocolate..
>
>Penny, NY
Penny, what is tzadziki?  Greek friends in Michigan once told me that gyros
was fast food and modern (it doesn't show up in traditional Greek
cookbooks), and they thought it originated in America.  I can't get to my
Greek cookbooks at the moment, but I don't recall that word in the
cookbooks...Margaret L