Re: [gardeners] spring walks

Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:54:15 -0500

Ahh, I remember my bedroom as a boy. Had three windows as the house was U shaped and my bedroom was
one leg of the U. Beneath two of them my Mom had planted Confederate Jasmine and the smell at night
was really pleasant. Under the other window she kept a night blooming cereus and the blooms fairly
glowed in the night. Several years after we built the house and planted the flowers we had a hard
freeze and they all froze back to nothing and never came back. Then azaleas were planted along the
west walls of the house (my room had a west wall) but no more sweet smells or glow in the dark
blooms.

I think you are giving your son lifelong memories with the rose there. The flowers I remember were
planted in 1950 and gone before I left home at 17 yo and have never forgotten those flowers.

George