Re: [gardeners] Hot, sweaty, and feeling good

Tue, 07 Apr 1998 19:38:36

At 08:42 PM 4/7/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Well George, that sounds just lovely.  Here in Northern Michigan we've been
>getting outdoor working weather too...but we're not at the planting stage.
>
>I rented a sod cutter over the weekend and eliminated over half my lawn.  A
>whole heck of a lot easier on my back than the shovel method.  I still have
>lots of sod to move off to the compost pile, but the ground will be ready
>for tilling and ammending this coming weekend.In all those empty spaces I
>plan to put in my knot garden, a perennial border, a pergola for the gourds
>and anything else that might feel the need to climb, I extended the cutting
>garden so I can put in a few veggies this year...will be my first time for
>edibles.
>
>I've got sprouts cruising under the lights, it's my sons job to give them
>pep talks, he keeps telling them how great it's gonna be when they get to
>go outside, they have to grow big and strong so they are tough enough to
>make it....eight year olds are wonderful.
>
>Keep the southern updates rolling in, I love hearing about gardening in
>full swing.
>
>Cynthia
>
>**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
>**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
>** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **
>** http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/fiftysomethingwomen/ **

Fixed Miz Anne and myself a little supper then we went up and got an ice
cream for each of us including Sleepy Dawg. She wore her best collar with
the blue bow ribbon and had the nice leash attached. She behaved pretty
good as we sat outside the Dairy Queen store and had our treat. Of course
everyone entering or leaving had to give her a little pat and the folks who
worked there wanted her to stay.

Back home I set out the Dusky eggplant, two Thai hots, and a Casabella
chile and Anne planted some sunflowers in her "everlasting" garden. You all
should see the amaryllis, they're really putting on a display this year.
The huge red ones are all abloom with 6 to 7 inch blooms and 4 or 5 blooms
to the stalk. The red and whites are just starting to open and are
gorgeous. The peach and the orange will be opening soon. The calla lilies
are in full bloom and the iris are starting to fade. The white iris haven't
bloomed yet in our patch and it may be next year before we see much from
them. The Shirley poppies are just setting blooms and the calendula are
brightly lighting the front flower bed. Even the salvia from last year is
still blooming and the Jacobena have never quit.

Spring in the south is beautiful and I'm sure it is so whereever gardeners
live. Have to throw this in though, it hit 83F here today.

George, ready for bath and bed