Re: [gardeners] wildgarden list

Sun, 11 Oct 1998 08:19:49

U.S. Department of Agriculture strongly recommends pouring the boiling mix
of vinegar/water over the beans in the jar, wiping the jar threads, sealing
the jar, and then into a boiling water bath for at least 10 minutes for
pints and 15 for quarts. With a 50:50 vinegar/water mix there shouldn't be
any spoilage after the BWB.

Folks, if you're into preserving your own food you need to surf the net for
the USDA foodsafety page and maybe lurk on rec.food.preserving newsgroup
for awhile. Recommended preserving methods have changed drastically in the
last 30 years.

George