Re: [gardeners] Re:Scalleywags? Definately one word. ;-)

George Shirley (
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:09:16 -0700

I have a long time friend who lives in Silas, Alabama. He says Silas is
so far out in the country they get their mail in Mississippi. He also
doesn't curse but freely uses scalawag, rapscallion, rascal, and such
old English terms. Kinda interesting to listen to him when he really
gets ticked off about something.


Allen and Judy Merten wrote:
> Hi Gayle,
>     The old folks used the term "scalleywags" in combination with
> "carpetbaggers" and "damnyankees".
> Allen
> Bastrop Co.,Tx
> Gayle Fields wrote:
> > I seem to be missing something here.  I thought you were talking about
> > Texans. A scalleywag is a British term for a tar gone adrift I think.
> > I find it amusing that a land state would use such a term.  Please
> > enlighten this prairie bound mountain shrouded soul what you call a
> > scalleywag!!  Texas in the Caribbean is what I am envisioning!!
> >
> > Gayle
> > --